Share your story of renewal
We believe that life is made up of stories. And those stories are part of God’s larger story. In the hymn Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing we sing, “Here I raise mine Ebenezer.” Have you ever wondered what that means?
In the Old Testament, people like Abraham and Jacob stacked stones in places where the Lord did something meaningful. These stone monuments were called Ebenezers. They were symbolic reminders. Every time they walked past them they were reminded of the goodness of God and what God had done. And these stories were told and passed on to the next generation.
When we write down and share our stories of renewal, they become Ebenezers for our community and the world around us. Our stories of renewal capture a moment of your story, not the whole story. They highlight what God has been doing in your life—sometimes in the distant past, but more often highlighting something more recent.
Where do you begin?
Here’s a framework to help you tell your story. As you write your draft, try this three step movement from point A to B.
Part One — Point A
What was a significant low point in your life in which you’ve experienced renewal? Describe this in as much detail as is helpful.
Part Two — The Middle
How did God renew your life in the period between Point A and Point B?
Part Three – Point B
How do you see God now that this part of your life has been renewed?
These questions aren’t an exhaustive list. But they might help you find a place to start your story:
- What are the stories that move you? Or tap into your heartstrings
- What are your experiences working in this city?
- What is best about your Community Group?
- How has Alpha been significant for you?
- Why is coming to church important to you?
- Have you experience sexual renewal, such as freedom from pornography or lust?
- What are your fears or anxieties? How has Christ freed you from those?
- Have you experienced renewal from anger?
- Have you experienced renewal from body image anxiety?
- Where have you been liberated from broken, addictive family dynamics?
- Where have you learned to trust God more?
- What are some good things that have happened due to Christ in your life?
- How have you been learning that it is better to give than to receive?
- How has Christ changed the way you live your life?
- How are your choices different?
- How has Christ changed how you relate to the people in your life?
- Where do you work? Do you see God in the workplace?
Submit Your Story
When you write your story aim for 700 words. Your story can be shared through our social media, website, and on Sunday mornings. You can indicate which avenues you’re comfortable with below (if any).
We know the process of remembering is a journey filled with many emotions. If you would like to speak with a pastor please reach out. They would be happy to walk with you through the process.
When you finish the draft of your story, please submit it below. We will follow up with you to help with edits and revisions.